Wednesday, June 26, 2013

France: Part IV- Alsace (Strasbourg, Riquewihr)

Okay, so I'll admit it.  I was kind of in love with ALL of the patisseries and their tasty treats in the windows, so I may have gone a bit overboard with the photos of food...it's just too bad you can't taste things through the computer screen because we purchased a few things everything now and then and they were SO good! 
Inside the Cathédrale de Notre-Dame de Strasbourg it felt just as massive as when you were standing outside staring up at it.  The organ was so intricate and it's gold shimmered in the light coming through the stained glass windows.  One of the prettiest parts, in my opinion, was a beam of light coming in through a small window shinning down onto a section inside.  The whole inside was just gorgeous, as were all of the cathedrals we visited.  
After leaving the cathedral, we headed towards a part of Strasbourg called La Petite France.  It's an adorable area in the city with canals, cobblestone streets, and medieval half timbered houses- very picturesque! 
After wandering around La Petite France we headed back towards the cathedral square and found a small cafe and ordered the Alsatian specialty, Kugelhopf, because Marshall really wanted to try it.  It's  sweet bread filled with raisins and almonds.  We sat at the cafe, enjoying our Kugelhopf and café creme and just people watched for a while.  It's nice just taking time to sit down and observe the busy bustling streets. 
Later in the day we headed for a small village, about 45 minutes from Strasbourg, called Riquewhir.  It's almost like you're going back in time when you enter the village situated between rolling vineyards and the Vosges mountains.  I just kept thinking of Beauty and the Beast (the Disney version of course) and wanted to run through the streets singing "Little town, it's a quiet village" but I contained myself so as not to scare anyone or be taken away to a looney bin.  But seriously, if you've seen the movie, you know the opening part with her walking through the town... that's exactly how I felt.  The place is gorgeous with it's medieval building and cobblestone streets.  I know I've said it before, but it's hard to fathom how OLD everything actually is.  In the US everything seems so brand new compared to places like this in France.  I love it! 
This cheese shop, while super stinky to walk past/ into, had some amazing cheese.  We tasted the giant block of cheese, the La Meule Du Coeur and it was like heaven.  I mean, who doesn't like cheese... and if you don't, I don't want to know- you big weirdo! 
I spy someone staring longingly at the sausages hanging in the window.  Alas, we did not buy any, much to Marshall's dismay, though I do believe we ate our way through France because everything is so stinkin' tasty! 
I don't know, I think Marshall and I may need a little guy like this to guard our wine... especially the bottles we brought back from France! 

No comments:

Post a Comment