Tuesday, June 18, 2013

France: Part II- Champagne (Reims, Épernay)

Day #2: Driving from Paris to Épernay in the Champagne region.  

We stopped in Reims to visit the cathedral and there just so happened to be a Medieval festival going on.  Now, usually in the US these seems super out of place to me, but here, by this massive, gorgeous cathedral dating back to Medieval times, it just seemed to fit so well. Apparently it's something they do once a year and we just happen to stumble upon it, lucky I guess.  It was fun seeing all the street vendors set up selling their goods and foods (which by the way smelled amazing.)  People in costumes of all kinds played music and danced around the square in front of the cathedral. The cutest little boy sitting on his father's shoulders just watched, wide eyed and open mouthed, as some of the ghoulishly dressed people danced around... and even came up and shook his hand!  

Inside the cathedral a service was taking place (it was a Sunday) and we had the opportunity to hear the choir sing.  The music was so gorgeous, it almost brought tears to my eyes hearing it in the place we were at.  The beautiful sound bounced off the high vaulted ceilings and echoed throughout the building.  I'd learned about the Reims Cathedral in my art history classes and I never imagined I'd be standing in the place I had needed to memorize on flash cards years before.  While we weren't in Reims very long, it was definitely a memorable experience.  
After leaving Reims we headed towards Épernay.  The countryside was gorgeous, covered in rolling hills of champagne vines with the River Marne cutting through.  We made a quick stop at Mercier Champagne to tour the champagne caves, learn how it's made and of course, the best part, a tasting!   

Our hotel in Épernay was absolutely gorgeous.  Hostellerie La Briqueterie- it felt like living in a fairytale!
Sunset didn't take place until around 10 pm- I loved the long days of sunshine! 

I was slightly obsessed with all the wheat.  The way it looked like rolling waves when the wind blew made me want to roll in it.  Don't worry, I refrained, I don't think the farmers would have appreciated it!

No comments:

Post a Comment